TWO MELBOURNE GIRLS. BORN WITH STYLEYES.

@stcksandstnes

Instagram

The Big Crunch: A true love affair


There is a feeling so unique to New York that at any moment something magical and unexpected can happen - and in my experience, will! And so as my love affair with the big crunch takes a turn for the 'lets try long-distance', I hold out hope that we'll be reunited soon...


In such a big and at times daunting city, the refuge to be taken in a wander through MoMA, a thirst-quenching 'aqueduct' mocktail on the Met rooftop or a Hollywood-blockbuster-worthy solo stroll through Central can never be underestimated. It seems it often takes a big step across the international-date-line and well outside your comfort zone to appreciate the accomplishment of independence and the joy that brings.


So here's to independence, fitting as I spent my 4th of July with new friends setting my sights on Manhattan and new adventure!


Here are my TOP 5 heavily clichéd tips from one first-time New Yorker to another that don't disappoint - and you can do them all by yourself (or not...whatever you want) New York is the city of possibility!


1. The Met


As a fashion obsessive, this lucky girl managed her Met steps stumble while the 'China: Through the Looking Glass' fashion exhibition à la Anna Wintour was still showing - and it was certainly beautiful enough to warrant the dress-code filled with such lust-worthy fashion confections as adorned everyone from Gigi to RiRi at the Met Ball Gala earlier this year! My little tip that persuaded more than a few friends to make the venture across Central was to make sure to hit up the 5th floor and Met rooftop for a magical skyline view and a summer mocktail after roaming the gallery!




2. Broadway

My one true love!! On venturing to the big apple, I could only dream of a life where seeing a new, magical show every night was a reality...and that dream felt quickly squandered by a not-so-polite hotel concierge who told me my chances at seeing Book of Mormon were limited at best and I'd be shelling out a cool $500 to in the process...BUT then I met my very own broadway baby who showed me the ways of the world, oh there are ways - and in the process I saw a casual 4 BROADWAY SHOWS that were beyond incredible!!! 1. Kinky Boots; 2. On the Town; 3. On the Twentieth Century; 4. Book of Mormon....and never did I pay more than $40USD for a ticket (and I even saw Kinky Boots, my first ever show, FRONT ROW!)...There are many tricks of the trade - mobile lotteries, in-person lotteries, standing room lines, TodayTix...and sheer dumb luck! And this is in addition to the normal websites or the discount line in Times Square. So just remember, anything is possible in New York - if you want to, you can make anything happen!



3. Sleep No More

No words - I will NOT be responsible for ruining any part of this mind blowing experience - just see it - TRUST ME - here's a link - http://www.sleepnomore.com/ 


...............as in seriously no, I'm not giving anything away...............


4. MoMA


Another one for the books and a just-as-dreamy change of pace from the Van Gogh and Monet at the Met. Highlights: Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and the Klimt, oh the Klimt :) Even got some posters for my room...although buying them before a commute to DC and back again before a flight home with two-stopovers wasn't so clever on my part, should have just mailed them home. Still, my bedroom walls are happy!



5. Top of the Rock - Sixtyfive Bar

Feeling on top of the world! This made the excursion to see the magical New York skyline that more experiential - it felt like we were part of some lush lifestyle that included amongst its' perks flutes of french champagne with our heads in the clouds <3




Until next time, NYC <3

Love Jess
xoxo